[TenTec] Orion II CAT Control Issue

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II CAT Control Issue
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:57:27 -0600
This post concerns a problem with my O-II and its response to WSJT-X
software polling the O-II.  I recently started playing around with FT8 and
thus the use of WSJT-X.  I can't find a WSJT-X reflector, but if there is
one then I will be happy to start posting there.

The problem is that when transmitting on FT8 I will sometimes get an error
message that will stop the transmission cycle.  This is completely random.
It may happen once or twice in an hour or twice in a minute or two, and then
no errors for another hour or two.

I am using a microKeyer II for radio control and Jozef, one of the microHam
engineers analyzed their logs and found that the O-II is sometimes slow to
respond to the WSJTX polling queries and WSJTX will generate an error
message in certain circumstances.  We are wondering if this is something
that is just inherent in the now older design of the O-II or whether there
is some way to work around this.

This isn't a show-stopper, but is definitely a nuisance when it happens.
All I have to do is to be quick on the trigger and click on "ignore" in the
WSJTX warning message and then click to restart the transmission.  If I am
quick enough the other station still gets the message.

I would be happy to hear from anyone with some experience with this, and/or
whether there is a better list to pose this question in.

Wes Attaway (N5WA)

(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA

Computer/Cellphone Forensics

AttawayForensics.com <http://www.attawayforensics.com>