[TenTec] Omni V audio distortion

To: "tentec@contesting.com >> Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V audio distortion
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:44:07 +0700
Hi,

I'm sure I read something similar to this recently but I can't locate it now. I think the discussion centered on failing capacitors on the audio board. Anyway my problem here is that I have started to hear quite high levels of distortion on the received audio of my Omni V. Looking with a scope and using a nice big wire wound 10 resistor as a load on the external speaker output with scope across it I see clipping of the negative peaks once they reach about 2.5v peak. Positive peaks can go much much higher before clipping, around 7v. I would expect to see a bit more symmetry.

The fixed level of audio out is clean so I think everything prior to C37 should be okay. From there the audio circuit is simple, if not crude, a TDA1015 with a simple tone control between sections.

So, a leaky capacitor?

Cheers
Martin, HS0ZED