Re: [TenTec] FOR SALE: 238 Tuner

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FOR SALE: 238 Tuner
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 21:51:22 +0200
I concur fully with Bob.

In my opinion, these are the most versatile tuners ever built.

Forget Johnson Viking, Palstar, and all the rest.

The ARRL Labs has tested a slew of tuners in the past 20 years and I have
almost ever test they ever made included in my Matchbox Shootout
<http://www.dj0ip.de/antenna-matchboxes/matchbox-shoot-out/>   (same link that
Bob posted).

There is one test of remote tuners that I haven't finished uploading, but other
than that, the information is complete.

Only one caveat: never ever, no nay never, use the crappy built-in balun that
Ten-Tec put in the tuner.

It is worthless!  TOTALLY  WORTHLESS!

Just build a Simple-Simon d-i-y external balun, like shown here:

http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-stuff/tuner-baluns/d-i-y-tuner-balun/

NEVER USE A 4:1 BALUN for our primary tuner balun.

Experts who agree with that:  G3TXQ, W8JI, VK1OD . . .  and of course, me.

Full justification is found here:

http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-stuff/tuner-baluns/

AND be sure to follow and read all of the links at the bottom of the page.

People still claiming a 4:1 current balun is the better choice are no different
from the scholars in 1493 who were still claiming the world was flat!

(hi)

Final comment:  if you run high power, do the capacitor mod.  Since we are
limited in Germany to just 750w and my amp only runs 500w, I have never
bothered, though I did purchase the doorknob capacitors and store them in my
junkbox, just in case.

73,

Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)