Re: [TenTec] Argosy Mic

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy Mic
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 14:29:41 -0600
Thanks Ron.   I mention this in as much as I frequently assist hams with mike issues.   In many cases they {Hams} seem to think if it will plug in it should work.  That is generally far from the total picture.   Wiring, shield, ground are among the things which are not standard in ham radio systems.   Also, in many cases the output level of the mike is important, while in general, the mike impedance is of  little importance.

Most radios today provide a polarizing voltage on the mike connector to use with Electrect mikes.   If wired wrong and this voltage is applied to a dynamic mike the DC through the mike element or mike transformer will impose a magnet field that disrupts the operation of what would normally be a good mike.

As to mike levels, some mikes have amplifiers internally and thus lots of output.  Frequently the high output level will overdrive the first audio stage in a radio and create distortion.   Most radios employ the mike gain control after the 1st or 2nd audio stage.   If the first stage is driven into distortion, then reducing the mike gain will not improve or reduce the distortion.   Correctly, one needs to reduce the actual level out of the mike in order to remedy the issue.

73

Bob, K4TAX