[TenTec] Omni VII LCD screen and DeOxit D5

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII LCD screen and DeOxit D5
From: Marcus Florido <k4vbb@LIVE.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:08:04 +0000
Many of us have had issues with the encoders on these and likely many other
rigs.  Thankfully, the ones on the Omni VII are simple mechanical encoders, and
a quick spray with DeOxit D5 will normally take care of the problem pretty
quickly.

Unfortunately for me, things got a little complicated when the can of DeOxit
leaked out while I was spraying it.  Looking for good entry points into the
"Multi" encoder for the DeOxit, I took the lids off and sprayed it into any
crack/crevice I could see.  The can of DeOxit I was using has one of those
flip-up straws, which leaks severely at the hinged joint.  As a result of this
leak, some DeOxit managed to find its way into the LCD panel and made the
screen all blotchy.  Capillary action ensured that the DeOxit distributed
itself all over the inside of the panel, making the biggest mess possible.

Since DeOxit leaves a residue (this is on purpose), there is little chance that
it would eventually evaporate.  This left me with no other option than to R&R
the LDC panel.  Here are some take-away's:

--When removing the front panel, be very careful with the ribbon cable that
connects the front panel to the board.  Try not to pull it loose from one
end--it is better to slip something flat underneath and pinch the cable between
your tool of choice and your finger.  Pull it out vertically.

--The LCD panel will require a complete disassembly.  There are tiny metal tabs
that will need to be bent outwards in order to take it apart.  Take care with
these.

--The backlight and diffusion mechanism has many layers.  Pay close attention
to the order and orientation of these layers--taking pictures is not likely
going to do the trick, as they are almost impossible to distinguish with the
naked eye, let alone on a picture.

--One of these layers includes a half-mirror-type set of diffusers.  I believe
that this is designed to reflect light from outside of the LCD back out in the
direction that it came from.  If installed backwards, it will reflect light in
the direction of the backlight source, and will make the screen appear somewhat
dim.  If you've never seen an Omni VII screen before, it's likely that you'd
never know the difference, so the change is subtle.  Pay attention so that you
don't have to do the work all over again.

--The diffusers are very soft plastic and can be easily scratched by your
fingers alone.  Be careful to use only very soft objects when dealing with
them.  Try and blow off any dirt before you wipe.

--Keep dust contamination to a minimum by using micro-fiber cloth.  However,
these may be too thick to adequately reach the glued edges between the
diffusers.  TP did the trick, but left some dust, so a little canned air should
probably be procured before you start the job.  (If you don't have any TP on
hand, I'll be glad to talk to you over the air, but not so much in person.)

--Disassembly of this rig is pretty easy and intuitive.  Thank you Ten Tec for
designing this rig so that us mere laymen can work on it.

--K4VBB