[TOEC] CQWW CW SK3GW(SG3P) SOSB/160 HP

Gunnar Widell sm3sgp at kkn.net
Tue Nov 28 04:41:07 EST 2006

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SK3GW
Operator(s): SG3P
Station: SK3W

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Fernebo
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:  943    21       83
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

After finishing third place in Sweden last year ( yes, THIRD!) I wanted to claim
my revenge this year. SK6M great topband signal inspired me to try a wire four
square.

CQWW Phone was spent with European and World Champions Team OH2U @ OH0Z, and
after that my motivation was on top.

The weekend before the contest I gathered all needed parts, and with lots of
help from SE3M, SM3GUE and SE3A we were able to put up four full-size wire
verticals hanging from the towers. With only six hours of day light per day, we
were happy to get all running in just a weekend. Unfortunately we did not have
time to sort out the remaining issues such as: final tuning of radiators,
radials and complete check of the comtek switch. (Borrowed from SM5AQD TNX!)

When the contest started I had: Antennas tuned for 1770kHz, lots of wasted
power in the dummyload, Comtek showed flat VSWR curve between 1950-2150kHz and
high VSWR in the shack on 1810-1850 (broken or not properly tuned hybrid?). 7-8
radials on ground per vertical. Despite this the antenna showed pretty good
F/B.

To start from the end:
NO, I did not break the SM record by SM0AJU @ SL0W from last year. I have 3000
points higher score, but after logg checking this will most probably be lower.
The last hours was a BIG fight to keep the rate up, and with two hours left of
the contest I almost gave up. But, after 9M2AX and 9N7JO called in with strong
signals on their sunrise I was suddenly closer again. I also heard a couple of
stations calling others, but never me: 9Y4AA, SV9, VK6, CM6YAC, TI5N, JA:s (
Did NOT work ANY JA!) and a couple more...

Mistakes:
A good rate on 160m is not the same as on 20m. I left my run frequency too
often to look for mults. In the end I got used to the new Tentec Orions Sub
reciver, for multiplier/qso search. I am used to beam JA or NA on other bands,
but this new antenna for 160m was too tight on the back to let the EU:s be
strong enough. Since about 90% of the QSOs comes from the south, it is
preferable to be strong in that direction too. Probably took too much off
time.

Highlight:
Help and support from friends to get the antenna ready.
I now can hear the stations SK6M are working ;-)
The antenna can be improved by some tuning and a proper ground plane.
It was the right choice to upgrade to a Tentec Orion.

I have a feeling that I was NOT so loud? Only 7 stations spotted me during the
weekend.
Please send recordings and comments to sm3sgp at kkn.net.

73 de Gus, SM3SGP