[TOEC] RM5A SAC SSB 2010, SOABHP

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 11:02:57 PDT 2010

Contest         : SAC Scandinavian Activity Contest
Callsign        : RM5A (Operator SM6LRR)
Mode            : PHONE
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Overlay         : ---
Band(s)         : All bands (AB)
Class           : High Power (HP)
Zone/State/...  :
Locator         : KO95BV
Operating time  : 19h43

 BAND   QSO DUP MLTS  POINTS   AVG
-----------------------------------
   80   144   0   31     144  1.00
   40   165   2   35     165  1.00
   20   174   2   39     174  1.00
   15    94   2   31      94  1.00
   10    32   0   16      32  1.00
-----------------------------------
TOTAL   609   6  152     609  1.00
===================================
       TOTAL SCORE : 92 568

Dupes are not included in QSO counts neither avg calculations

Operators       : SM6LRR

Comments: Instead of leaving my congratulations to the end... My sincere
appreciation to my Estonian friend Tonnu, ES5TV, for his Top Achievement!
Super performance in moving stations from band to band, excellent endurance
and an extremely skilled SAC-operator! It might not sound like an extreme
effort to work 800+ QSOs in SAC for a Non-Scandinavian, but it TRULY is!

I had almost decided not to work the SSB-leg of SAC this year for private
reasons, but the closer to the start, the more convinced I became I had to
try to find a station somehow. My normal SAC-station RK3AWL (RL3A) was not
available. My Second Option which had been promised to me also became
unavailable. I needed to somehow find a station! Thanks God I have good
colleagues and friends at my work. Leo, RA5A got an SMS from me very late
Friday evening: " I simply MUST work SAC SSB, could you try to help me...".
Three hours before the contest should start, he gave me a call and said he
found an option. The station RM5A, located on the premises belonging to
Igor, RD3BW, should be my second home for the next 24 hours. After a 100 km
car ride with Leo, we ended up in a beautiful Russian countryside area, 100
km west of Moscow. Of course, Murphy had joined us on our journey and he did
not allow me to start the contest until 1 hour after the official start. At
this time, Tonnu most likely already had a 100 QSO advance... Never mind,
SAC contest started and I forgot about Murphy and his friends. No special
conditions this SAC SSB, but still this contest gives me tremendous
pleasure. To be able to work a contest with 52 years of history is something
special. Especially of you are a Scandinavian living abroad. I had fantastic
experiences and pleasure with many 5 band QSO:s thanks to so many excellent
Scandinavian operators ready to leave their RUN frequencies just to QSY with
me and other Non-Scandinavians to other bands for a new Multipliers or QSOs.
I so much enjoy the willingness to assist by those wonderful and skilled
operators in Scandinavia! 10 meters was a true challenge... signals were so
deep into the "mud" that many QSO:s were a real hardship for both me and the
counterparts in Scandinavia. Thanks to everyone for trusting in me that
propagation might exist on 10, despite the fact that nothing indicated that!
The biggest thrill was to be called by OY9R in the last hour on 15 meters
and to ask for QSY to 20 and 40. After a few minutes, I had three new band
multipliers and three more QSO-points. Unfortunaltely 10 meters did not
work, but 3 our of 4 bands tried is good result enough! Thank you all
Scandinavians for making these autumn weekends so special to me by
participating in SAC! I will do it over and over again in the years to come!
Thank you that the Scandinavian Activity Contest is such a great contest! My
sincere appreciation to Igor RD3BW for allowing me to work from his nice
station and to Leo RA5A for organizing this adventure!

73 de R3/SM6LRR, Mats