[TOEC] SAC Landskamp contest is violating the basic fundamentals in all competition

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 05:37:02 PDT 2012

Hello Sam,

Thanks for the reply and for sure fly-fishing is also a very nice and
relaxing activity.

Share opinions with you that we need to market SAC (both in SAC-countries
and globally). Has been done VERY actively since 2006 and onwards, with
some difference in efficiency depending on available time and also if the
organizing country requested this from volonteers. Result has been, I would
dare to say, excellent... See statistics.

Another thing that was a red flag for development of SAC, was to fix the
backlog of awards and plaques. This backlog was in some cases 16 years.
Fixed at least up till year 2010. Do not know the situation with awards for
2011, apart from the sending out of special trophies, sponsored by
individuals and clubs. Result from cleaning up in back log has been
excellent. SAC no longer has the reputation of the contest that never sends
out awards and plaques.

Educational efforts from national leagues. I have pretty good conscience
about this too when SSA are concerned. A constant flow of information has
been sent out in QTC, via TOEC, SSA Forum and in emails to clubs all over
Sweden and to individuals. The information has been a combination of
marketing and teaching (giving basic information and more advanced
operating hints).

Club activities have been promoted in the same way. Several clubs have made
initiatives to activate SAC with new members. I would say, this could have
been promoted even more, but sometimes I even have the feeling that too
much of promotion has created some sort of vacuum and people kind of say:
We have heard that so many times and we have contributed, should we do that
yet another year...  Here we have the difference between Finnish SISU and
Swedish Jantelag... In Finland, it is not a bad thing to excel or to fight
for first place. Sweden (and other nations in Scandinavia) have a more
modest approach to efforts like this. Can we change it?  I do not know, it
depends on the attitude and desire in general. Many people have many
different hobbies. Some of them considered more important than contesting.
This is a fact, and we can not change it all that much.

Tutorials on software and equipment?  I wonder if you could develop that a
little more.  What else do we need to do other than what we have done above?

The problem in SM is actually not so much the new operators. It is to
succeed in getting old foxes to make an effort. We have 50 stations in
Sweden that either are not active at all in SAC - or very sparsely
activated. This is the biggest problem compared to OH.

Some more comments on your view that Team competition and Online scoring
does not add to the popularity of the contest...  Indeed online scoring is
a very stimulation addition to increase efforts. If I was in the Swedish
team, I would for sure look ALL the time on the competitors from
Scandinavia and realize if I had to increase my efforts or to see if I was
ahead of them. If I was not in the team, I would make sure to do everything
to beat the stations in my category in Sweden and also in Scandinavia, but
following them on the online score boards. I am convinced that has a very
positive effect.

It is good that you thing LA would beat us in the team competition... If I
look on statistics and station quality/operator skills, I may have a
somewhat different opinion :)  That OH would beat us is a bigger risk, and
now we have a chance to see who is right.

And what if LA beat us?  Would that be a thrill for me as an operator from
the outside? I could care less who of the countries win, but of course my
heart is still Swedish... but I for sure work ANY station I can and
therefore it is not interesting who wins the Team Competition. I am only
concerned that there is an overall high activity of Scandinavians, and this
will be reduced with your proposal. Interest will completely disappear for
the traditional landskamp, and I can tell you for sure, many
Non-Scandinavians would have worked SAC for the last time if the
traditional landskamp was replaced with your proposed variant.

About the rest, I also do not agree at all...

24 hours is a perfect duration of the contest. 12 hours will decrease total
amount of available QSOs for Non Scandinavians

RDXC is popular thanks to reasons mentioned befoore and that Russians spent
tens of thousands of dollars per year for the result book, and have huge
amount of people who sponsor the plaques. It is also a worldwide contest
where everyone works everyone. Contestisng as such is gaining popularity
and this automatically affect worldwide contests like CQWW, RDXC, WPX and
others. With SAC, development before our activity from 2006 showed
stagnation. It does not anymore. Scandinavian cup and efforts from mainly
SM and OH, as well as from LA the year they organized, booasted
participation in SAC. About OZ, I still have my hopes, but success in
promoting contesting in a country is directly proportional to the activity
of those people who have the responsibility... SM hams can not be
considered the best ones for boosting OZ activity. This is the tast of OZ
contest organiztion...

So all in all, even with open eyes to your ideas, I still maintain the
opinion that the traditional SAC Landskap is what increases the interest
for SAC. Team competition will fill a gap, but not change the world too
much.

73 de RM2D (RA/SM6LRR), Mats

PS  What we need is people who love contesting and SAC, and who most
important of all, are ready to actively invest time and efforts in
promoting SAC in the own country or internationally. To sit on reflector
and with negative approach claim that increase in participation is a result
of other things than efforts and Cup, is depriving many individuals for the
attention they deserve for hard work!