[TOEC] Proposal: LP Category on SOSB in SAC

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 07:33:41 EDT 2012

Rolf and others,

While I personally for sure wish there would be a SOSB LP entry in many
contests, I understand the reasons why this does not happen so often. A
SOSB LP option for Scandinavians in SAC maybe is not so much a problem.
Only a bit more of administration and some more awards and possibly plaques
is the issue. However for a contest like RDXC, this means a huge increase
in awards and plaques, as this will create national winners in up to 6
different new bandcategories.

The intention with my comment was actually the same as Rolf''s approach -
to stimulate activity!

If I had the option as Non-Scandinavian to work SOSB in SAC, I would for
sure do that, because for the time being I only have one band with at least
to competitive antennas, 20 meters. I could spend perhaps 12 hours in this
SOSB category and work the Scandinavians active on this band, I would have
missed a few, but I think the potential could have been maximum 250-300
QSOs if I did a really heavy effort, using skimmer and cluster.

As SOSB is not an option in SAC for Non-Scandinavians, I decided to
challenge myself and at least put up some symbolic antennas for 80 and 40
meters. Two very low dipoles became the result. On 40 meters I worked
around 125 QSOs if I am not mistaken, with the same antenna around 50 QSO
on 15 meters. On the 80 meter antenna around 100 QSOs or a little less. On
10 meters I used the 20 meter vertical and managed to get 25 QSOs.

All in all, 400+ QSOs will not make a great position for me in the SOHP
Unassisted category, BUT, and this is important... I added 250 QSOs on
other bands than 20 meters, and this is pure activity to all the
Scandinavians.

If we added a SOSB cateogry (we do not even have for Non-Scandinavia HP
stations), my estimation is that the available QSO amount for Scandinavians
would be reduced quite considerably = less activity in total (which is the
goal of SAC).

Therefore, in this case, I did as I preached. Instead of just working SOSB
20 meters (not a category), I gave hopefully the pleasure to Scandinavians
of working my station on more bands than just one.

SOSB LP is an interesting potential for huge contests like CQWW, WPX etc,
but I do not see the need for this in SAC for Scandinavians, In the same
way, with the approach of increasing activity from Scandinavia, I also
maintain my opinion of wanting to remove SOSB class at all for
Scandinavians. SOSB does not stimulate the total activity because
limitations to work fellow Non-Scandinavians on just one band.

So no hard feelings Rolf. I agree that I missed SOSB LP class in RDXC, but
I have to accept the decision by the CC to limit the amount of categories,
referring to administrative and cost issues (for awards).

73 de RM2D, Mats  (ot the other side of SAC pile, just desiring more
Scandinavian QSOs)