TopBand: DX windows

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DX windows
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:35:26 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-01-19 02:10:33 EST, Tree wrote:
>Tonight, ZS4TX was 579 here on 1836.  I hope that we can keep enough
>room open for him to work us during the contest.
>1830-1840 - DX QSOs only -  per the band plan.

When I worked him, he was S9. Because of confusion with the "band plan" three
guys were on top of him when he sent my report. Even with an S 9 signal, I
had to wait until everyone quit QRMing him and ask for a repeat.

QSO's would go much faster if split operation was standard, with a DX only
window!

With that thought in mind....
In a message dated 97-01-19 08:35:03 EST, Jon wrote:

>Still too big Tom. How about one kHz; I'd suggest 1999 kHz. Propagation
>should be better there, too. The DX can take turns. All times scheduled in
>advance.

It might be a big funny joke for stations near the coast with saltwater
paths, or some in those better locations (like Craig) might be tired of
hearing it, but people further in-land or not in salt water first hop
locations suffer with the present plan.

Inland stations often can't hear DX well enough to get the QSX or tell who he
came back to in a pile up. That leads to the mistakes of calling on top the
DX station. I've noticed a decline in fellowship on 160, Topband is becoming
more and more like 20 meters.

Perhaps being on the coast desensitizes people from NEEDLESS difficulties
others must face, and makes their concerns seem humorous or unimportant?

73,
Tom