TopBand: KH2 operating schedule

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KH2 operating schedule
From: n2nl@netpci.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 19:04:22 -0700
Several have asked about mine and Gus' (KH2/K4SXT) 160 operating
schedule.

Gus will be off island the second half of this week.  I think he will be
back
at the end of the weekend.  He has been active just about nightly, off
and on,
starting our sunset at about 0900Z.
   I will be active this evening (Tuesday AM USA time) on the hour and
half
hour as long as I can stay up, most likely till 1200z.  I will not be on
Wed AM
USA time, since I have duty.  I will then be active Thursday, Friday,
and Saturday
AM (again USA time), again on the hour and half hour beginning 0930Z.
I'll
try to stay up through West Coast sunrise on Friday and Saturday AM
(again,
USA time).
   Next week I will be underway, my patrol boat will be visiting the
islands of
Rota, Tinian, and Saipan in KH0 land.  I won't be bringing a radio. Ill
be back
on 160 upon my return.
   Frequency:  Hard to pick one.  Ill try to make it an even frequency
between
1825-1835.  Long line fishing buoy beacons pop up all over the place so
its hard
to use a set frequency.  Last night there was one on 1831, one on 1833,
and another
on 1834.  ALSO, if KH2/K4SXT is also active, Ill have to stay atleast
7-10KHz
away from him as he pegs the needle here, even barefoot.
   Now, the disclaimer.  Ill try my hardest but I'm not expecting much
except for
maybe some west coast.  Although I've worked some VK/JA with good signal

reports, that is hardly a test (local for me), and my antenna is still
unproved.  It
might be nothing more than a cloud warmer for all I know yet.  Plus,
noise is high
this time of year since the rainy season is in full swing.  I'm
expecting more later
this fall when things quiet down on both ends, and I should have my
other amp back
(1200W vs 400w now).
   Europe- I know KH2 is desperately needed there.  Please lets wait
till later this
fall, when conditions improve.  My wife and son will be visiting
relatives in DU1 for
3 months at the end of the year, and that is a much better time for me
to wake up at
3 AM to try to work Europe.
   Yes, both me and us have plans to activate KH0 on 160.  I want to
make sure
I can do it successfully from KH2 first.
   I hope this is informative and helpful to those who were asking.

73, good DX,

Dave N2NL/KH2