TopBand: Re: Pennant

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Pennant
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:55:34 EDT
Glenn, VA3DX wrote:
>Just curious what the projected angle of signal reception is?
>I realize various factors are in play., but did your program
>come up with such figures?

Over "good" soil conductivity, the elevation angle of best reception is
31.5 degrees.  It's a bit higher if the soil is poorer and lower if the
soil is better than "good".
==========

>Also what amount of effect does my tower and inv L have on the antenna?
>The tower and inv L are in the middle of a 50' by 60' yard, with
>the european pennant along the north side ; about 25' from the
>RX antenna...

I don't know the answer to that one, Glenn.  Please keep me informed on
your observations.
===========

>I'll give you my thoughts as the band opens up this fall...
>I do have plans to put up another pennant on the south side of
>the yard, (50' away from the present antenna); but facing west
>instead. That way the feepoints (both on the vertical section) will
>be at opposite corners of the yard. (ie - the sw corner and ne
>corner.)
>
>Will the antennas adversely affect each other?

No, because at that spacing there is virtually no coupling between the
two Pennants.

I have two Pennants up here, erected with their points only a few inches
apart.  I use a relay to switch the feedline from one Pennant to the
other (they are point-fed, with the terminations in the center of the
vertical sections).  Modeling shows this to be okay, but preliminary
results show that the F/B is not very good.  I suspect that the feedline
and relay control wires are influencing the pattern.

Before putting up the 2nd Pennant, only one Pennant by itself appeared to
have quite good F/B on 160 thru 40m.  Today I routed the coax and relay
control cables horizontally away from the points to see if this will make
any difference.  I haven't yet had the opportunity to check it.

Previously the cables ran vertically from the points of the Pennants to
ground level.  If running them horizontally doesn't help, I plan to try
separate feedlines to each Pennant and eliminate the relay.

Another possible reason for the poor results with two point-to-point
Pennants is that I'm not using a matching xfmr at the feedpoints --
they're fed directly with 75-ohm coax.

I'll keep Reflectorees informed of the results.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]