TopBand: The mini DX Op.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: The mini DX Op.
From: gu3whn@guernsey.net (Mike Sloan)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:20:50 +0100
Best wishes from the beautiful island of Guernsey.

As relatively irregular operator on 160, despite some 33 years as a full
license holder, I have to say that it is always a great pleasure to come
onto the band.

Steve has mentioned some of the difficulties he experiences with great
sensitivity and reflects very much my own views.  In the sixties, as
9V1OB, the pace of life on the bands, if I can phrase it in such a way,
was far less hectic.  QSO's were seemingly more often given due
attention to the art of both technical and verbal communication.

Reference to the DX cluster really puts the finger on my personal
problem, especially being on the edge of Europe.  Guernsey boasts about
120 amateurs, of all classes, but only a handful are active on the HF
bands. Once heard on the band, no matter which one, I am quite often
pounded out of sight.  With the one certain exception of 160, manners go
by the wayside for many operators in their excitement to work the "new"
country.  So much so that my operating periods are getting shorter and
shorter on the HF bands.

Perhaps for me it is the responsibilities of teaching all day and then
trying to bring, in as polite a manner as possible, some order to what
are often large pile-ups.  I do really love the hobby, but wow!  It is a
dynamic environment out there and some changes are not always for the
better.

What I try to do is give something back to the hobby I love so much, in
spite of the niggles. Thanks to all on this band for making my
particular efforts seem so worthwhile.  My CW still way behind my
earlier proficiency....!  Sorry!  Please only put me on the cluster if
you really must!

Best 73

Mike