TopBand: E30GA update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: E30GA update
From: bernie@dailydx.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:55:27 +0000
The following comments were sent by e-mail by Bruce, WD4NGB, from the
E30GA DXpedition.  I am sending this to a bunch of the reflectors to get
the word out.  I will not be able to forward any requests back to the
group.  This message is an FYI (For your information) only.  By the way
the logserver is working now.

http://no4j.com/nfdxa/logs/e30ga.htm

Some of thes comments are a few days old, however I think they are still
relavent to the subject:
de Bernie, W3UR

Hello Bernie,
We are now  fully operational as E30GA. We have been limited to
operating with 100 watts into a windom since almost all of our equipment
was held up in Customs for 1 1/2 days. We are  operating  4 stations 16
hours a day , 5  when 6 mtrs opens, and  2 during our night time.   We
have a very good assortment of beam antennas from Cushcraft. For the
lowbands we are using full size verticals, and slopers erected under
NF6S, Larry's, skillful supervision. We are operating from the top of
the 10 floor Nyala Hotel in Asmara which has a great takeoff in all
directions. We will be on 160m during  gray line starting Saturday.

We are already doing "Very Well" on RTTY with Elvira , IV3FSG, and
Michel, EA8AFJ doing most of the operating so far. Our low band station
will be active from 1400-0400z daily until the need is worked down.

We were told that we could now operate 30 m , but on a non interfering
status, so look for us there also . We will be using the standard DX
frequencies for ITU region 1 on all bands.

We are now  able to access  the internet to post the logs. I will send a
update in 2-3 days. If you received this, it means the logs will be
posted also up thru 0700z November 7th very soon.

We had a very good group meal last night, and invited Zollie to join
us.  A great time was had by all.

The flight that N9NS was on had a medical emergency on board, and caused
him to miss his connecting flight.  He has been  stranded for two days,
but flys in to join us tonight, bring with him our last amplifier.

Hope to work all of you on your needed bands. 73/DX,  Bruce
WD4NGB/E30JA

Hello Bernie,
Here is a update to the main message. We had a VERY good opening on 6
mtr to Europe, accross to Asia the last 2 days, and Max, I8NHJ was
bursting with excitmernt as he worked VR2's one after the other. We are
hoping for openings to other areas as well. The antenna is a 5 ele at
aproximete 30mtrs heigh. We have the radio on 50110 24hrs a day now.
73/DX, Bruce

--
Bernie McClenny, W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)
Editor of The Daily DX