TopBand: Feed line questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Feed line questions
From: mbrown@shine1.com (Michael Brown)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:05:18 -0500
I have a few questions on feeding an antenna I hope to put up for 160
before long.0
I can fit about 180ft of wire on my property.  I was planning on using
450 ohm
twin lead (stranded) all the way back to my tuner.  I have heard some
concerns
about rf in the shack in doing this. Although I've never really noticed
it myself. My
question is, if I used the ladder line for the longest part of the run,
and put in
4:1 balun outside the shack, then came in with RG 8, would this defeat
the purpose
of using twin lead in the first place ?   Right now, I have an old Omni
D and have
to use my manual tuner.  Is it feasible to use the balun in this setup
and be able
to run an auto-tuner ?  That sounds like it would be a slick setup to me
if it would
work.  I don't see an amp in my future (lack of bread!)  so I will only
be running
in the neighborhood of 100 watts.  I know the 180ft length is short for
160, but
that is the best I can do on a small lot.   Thanks..

73 - Mike K9MI