Topband: Pennant working?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Pennant working?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:01:37 -0500
> I built a pennant for 160 exactly per the K6SE articles and I purchased a
> K1FZ matching box.  I use a 50 bead decoupling assembly and feed it with
> about 75' of RG-8X....   It is so quiet I'm not sure it is working!!!!  It
> is pointed toward Europe and there were no stations to be heard last
> weeked except an IH9.  The CN8 was loud on every antenna....   Any
> comments on the pennant....  Is it really that quiet?

You should hear a definite increase in noise level on the narrowest
selectivity you plan on using at the quietest time of the day you
expect to operate when the antenna is connected.... as opposed to
being replaced with a dummy load of the same impedance.

If your system does not pass that test, it has a problem that can
cost you weak signal reception.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com