Topband: Topband Real Estate

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Real Estate
From: kn4lf@hotmail.com (Thomas Giella, KN4LF)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:22:50 -0400
  A drive around your new QTH in a circle within approx. 1/4-1 mile with the
car radio on 1710 kc will give you a basic idea of the general QRN in the
area but I've also found that a portable shortwave radio tuned to 160 meters
gives you a better idea and you can still be suprised at just how bad the
QRN really is when you finally listen on the station antenna's. I've
surveyed QTH's with the above method and felt they were quiet locations only
to find out otherwise on the big antenna's. Secondly I've found electric
fences to be a disaster on receive. I've had situations where an electric
fence 1 mile away was inaudible on the car and portable radio, only to be S9
to +20 on the station antenna's.
  Checking for noise can be elusive with strange things happening. At my
rural QTH my 160 meter noise level is normally S0 even on the 1/2 wave T and
1/2 wave dipole transmitting antenna's, only to have S9+20 QRN at the same
location on 80 meters and S9 QRN on the broadcast band!

73,
Thomas Giella, KN4LF