Topband: Inverted "L"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted "L"
From: gmguerin@voyager.net (George & Marijke Guerin)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:41:42 -0400
Hello Geoff,

I, personally, would reduce the top section to better resonate the total
wire length.  What you have is a 1/4 wavelength wire horizontal at a low
angle, so most of the energy will go up, not out.

If you want to go multi-band, you can put traps in the wire at 33 feet and
about 58 feet for 40 and 80 meters like K1ZM did with his wire version of
the Battle Creek Special with traps made of 50 ohm coaxial cable.  It is
written up in ON4UN's latest Low Band DXing book.  Start with longer wire
lengths and trim to suit.  The reason I said about 58 feet is the 40 meter
trap will give one about 8 feet of inductive loading on 80 meters.

Another multi-band possibility is to parallel 1/4 wave wires for 80 and 40
to the same feed point.

73        George        K8GG