Topband: 160 vertical, radials and beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 vertical, radials and beverages
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 23:05:21 -0700
I have been doing a lot of reading about verticals,
beverage antennas and elevated radials.  I am currently
homebrewing an all aluminum 62 foot 80 meter vertical
utilizing elevated radials.

Then it occured to me since I am going to install the
vertical (base) at the 8-10 foot level, why not use beverage
receiving antennas as the elevated radials!  The layout would
be 4 or more beverages at various but equally balanced compass
points coming to a common center point with the vertical at the
center of this common point.  Utilzing suitable switching of the
beverages could they not serve a dual purpose of elevated radials
on transmit and the directional beverages on receive?  Since the
vertical is situated perpendicular to the beverages, there should
not be much mutual coupling, I think.  If there was, it could be
detuned through additional switching.

During transmit, they are all connected together through switching and
are basically an elevated radial system.  During receive, the appropriate
"Radial/Beverage" is selected and the others de-selected.

This could be made to work seemlessly through appropriate switching from
one's transmitter keying circuitry.

Any comments?

Bill
WA2AEH