Topband: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 band plan and contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 band plan and contests
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:17:32 EDT
Hi Ron & Others on the 160M Reflector

Ron, I am responding to your recent email post to the 160M reflector and
specifically to your comments on the issues related to SSB contesting that
will surface as a result of the new ARRL 160m bandplan which was adopted by
the ARRL BOD in July of 2001.

Since I was on the bandplan committee, I can tell you that 100% of the
bandplanning committee was composed of active contesters & Dx'ers:

Our team was:

K1ZM
W4ZV
K5UR
K0TO
K1KI
N7NG (who manages the Communications Department (and Contest branch) of ARRL)

While it is true that contesters have HISTORICALLY ventured below 1843 in SSB
contests (in violation of the ARRL bandplan) it was clear to us that there
existed a very well-defined need to do three things when reformulating a
revised bandplan for 160M:

1) Provide space for newer digital modes eg: PSK-31 etc (this was provided
from 1800-1810)
2) Provide space for experimental modes (this was provided at 1995-2000 with
Beacons assigned at 1999-2000)
3) Separate WIDEBAND modes (SSB/AM/SSTV) and NARROWBAND MODES (CW, Digital,
RTTY) from each other in some meaningful way.

This was done by assigning the Narrowmode activity to the region 1800-1843 -
which was eminently logical in that this was the predominantly existing
HISTORICAL USAGE PATTERN for MOST daily operating activity on 160M and
assigning the WIDEBAND modes to the region 1843-2000.  This too was logical
since MOST SSB activity on a daily basis on Topband occurs (most of the time)
above 1840kHz.

This was not only in keeping with historical usage patterns on 160M but it
also represented a fair and equitable proportionment of the band spectrum -
eg: 22% of the available spectrum for narrowband modes and 78% of the
available 160M spectrum for wideband modes.

The only real issue that faced us on the committee was just where to set the
lower limit for the wideband segment of the band.  This was keenly debated by
us on the committee for about two months with consideration given at various
times for 1850, 1855 and even 1860, for example.  It would be fair to state
that this was probably our most difficult decision to make during our
deliberations on the committee.

In the end, we selected 1843 for the lower limit for the wideband mode region
as this represented (on LSB) a carrier center frequency of 1840 - which is
where MOST CW operation ends today on any given evening.  Certainly, in the
midst of a solar MINIMA (which we are now approaching), one will find CW
Dx'ing taking place each night to about 1840kHz on Topband - this being
viewed, of course, during the Winter months in the Northern hemisphere of the
world.

Contest activity is obviously an issue because contesters have been ignoring
the bandplan for years.  This is surely no small issue and it was one that
received lengthy consideration by the committee.  The Committee in its final
report recommended that the ARRL BOD ask the ARRL Contest Branch to redraft
its rules for future 160M SSB contests in order that they might be made
consistent with the new 160M Bandplan.  The Committee also requested that the
ARRL BOD write to the CQ Contest Committee to request that they also consider
acting similarly with respect to their 160m SSB contest events.

In the end, for me (and here I am speaking only for myself and not
necessarily for the other members of the 160M Bandplanning Committee), I
think this can best be dealt with by a bahavioural change among the contester
community.   What I think we can do is adjust our operating practices in two
simple ways in order to respect our new bandplan:

1) Work simplex in Dx contests above 1843 eg: call CQ DX above 1843 and
listen "on frequency" for Dx callers.  Many countries around the world can
operate SSB to 1850 - some to 1860 and some even to as high as 1870.

OR

2) Call CQ above 1843 and listen SPLIT **below** 1843 for DX callers as is
done quite successfully today on 80M and 40M during the CQWW and ARRL DX
contests.

On a personal note,  I should note that we on the committee received over 800
email inputs for our consideration.  There were four predominant themes that
came through to us out of this body of input received.

A large number of emails that we received requested such a **SEPARATION** of
WIDEBAND and NARROWBAND modes on Topband.

This I think we have faithfully done, in response to what was requested, and
I am personally most gratified to see the FCC stepping up to the plate and
starting to enforce the bandplan.

Contesters can and will adjust to this new reality if they desire to - as
contesters are known to follow contest rules as long as they are clearly
expressed.  If the contest community does follow the bandplan in fact and
restricts US and Canadian LSB activity to a carrier frequency of 1840 - dial
frequency of 1843,  in the end, our guys in the MORE GEOGRAPHICALLY
DISADVANTAGED REGIONS WITHIN THE US ESPECIALLY will experience a material
BENEFIT as a result.

There will be a relatively "clear zone" in which DX stations may CQ in - eg:
from about 1811-1840 and, in this case, these overseas folks should naturally
listen UP above 1843 for US and VE callers in the contest.

The guys in the "black hole" will now be able to HEAR these weaker DX
stations (especially those coming out of Europe and Africa) because they will
no longer be covered up by EAST COAST CQ callers, for the most part.

In the end, we on the 160M bandplanning committee did our level best to be
fair to all our universe of respondents and I do believe the end result is a
fair and equitable bandplan for all 160M folks to enjoy and be proud of.  On
balance, it is a good plan.

I hope guys will give it a chance to work and be supportive of our efforts.

We tried very hard to be responsive to our input and, in the end, I do
believe we did just that.

Please let me note once again, that some of the opinons stated here are my
own and are not necessarliy reflective of all the other members of the 160M
bandplanning committee.  However, the other Committee members are fully
capable of speaking their minds on this topic, if they wish, and may elect to
do so at a point in the future.

73 JEFF, K1ZM
160M DXCC #58

K1ZM@aol.com