Topband: Powerline Technologies (PLT) for Broadband Internet access

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Powerline Technologies (PLT) for Broadband Internet access
From: peterc@starhub.com.sg (Peter COOK John)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:12:38 +0800
Folks,

Some time ago I asked for feedback on various PLT trials so as to get an
assessment of the interference issues and potential lobbying positions
against deployment. Thanks to DJ7RJ, K5AQ, W1RFI and AA1K for their
feedback.

I also have some professional interest in this subject and have had a couple
of my best guys doing some research.

Also noted the recent posts from PA5AT, K3KY and KV5V.  I agree that,
certainly from Singaporean context, few people know or care about Amateur
Radio and I'm afraid that given a fight for spectrum of ham radio users
versus cheap Broadband access, the PLT lobby would win.   But there is a
wealth of material out there....

>From the research we have made PLT has had a myriad of problems and simply
doesn't perform "as advertised".

Apart from the various national Amateur Radio Societies/Organizations
reports on interference (PLT vendors potential counter-positioning: "Well
they would say that wouldn't they?"),  we have found an interesting article,
which seems to be written in preparation for WRC 2003, prepared by
EUROCONTROL - the European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation.

Various EU governments have not gone ahead with the technology due to
concerns over interference to emergency/civil radio services.

"In Sep 2001, the Spectrum Protection Group (SPG14), a EUROCONTROL -
European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation, released a Report
highlighting that measurements on a test PLC installation has shown unwanted
emission radiated by the PLC system.  This result raised concern that the
PLC radiation has the potential to adversely affect, or even deny HF Radio
Communications and poses a threat for the Aviation industry."

A copy of the report is at the Eurocontrol website
http://www.eurocontrol.be/spg/SPG%20Positions%20documents/EurocontrolPLTBrie
f.pdf

Their main site is at http://www.eurocontrol.be/dgs/start/en/index.html

Now one subject hot on everyone's lips is air safety- probably the best
lobbying position and briefing for the local/national press to get this
interfering technology removed from our bands?

73's

Peter, 9V1PC