Topband: 160 band plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 band plan
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:36:51 -0500
On 24 Feb 2002 at 12:26, Bernie McClenny, W3UR wrote:

> I was rather disappointed with some of my fellow US Topband operators
> who operated both intentionally and unintentionally below 1843 on SSB.
>
> Early this morning I heard a rag
> chew taking place on 1824 on SSB.  So now the non contesters are also
> breaking the band plan thinking it's OK because of the action of
> others.

Some have worried that the combination of an SSB contest plus
bandplan would be seen as very unfavorable by phone ops on 160.
A few of them got together and sent in comments to FCC
opposing RM-10352. The ragchew activity on 1824 (I did not hear
it personally) might be retaliatory. It could be either disgruntled
phone ops who got 'air strikes' called in on their heads by a DX
station working split, or just ops who got displaced by unusually
high levels of phone activity above 1843 for the weekend.
Not everyone agrees with the bandplan. Because I am a CW
op, I do agree with it.

Depending on who the actors are, we may or may not see
regular phone ops resume down there again. Let's hope that is
not the case, as it took direct intervention by FCC to get that
stopped. Face it guys, the level of retaliatory interference is way
up over what it was a generation ago, when *all* the bands were
'gentlemen's bands' by comparison with what we have today.
Well, OK- maybe not 75 meters.  :o)

IMO this is a problem that affects much more than just ham radio.
World society is in flux, the old rules are breaking down, and there
is a greatly weakened respect for the old ways of doing things.
We see the same sort of retaliatory activity BTW where DX ops
are running split and the pile interferes with ragchews/SSTV
above the DX freq.

> The
> band was not full but was crowded starting at 1843, lucky
> W4MYA!

W4MYA staked out 1843 and used
it very effectively during the contest.  :o)
73, David K3KY