Topband: Re: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:56:13 +0000
I had a very similar problem here but finding the problem with
a handheld AM broadcast band receiver was/is not the proper way to
locate the source of the noise.  My problem was originating from
a bad insulator 1.5 miles away.  The problem with using a small AM
broadcast band receiver is the noise is coupled into and radiating
from the entire feeder line and anything else connected to it.

The feeders are acting like an antenna so, coming close to any pole
or drop line, you will find a strong signal. The way I found the source,
was to use an aircraft AM receiver.  At VHF frequencies, the noise is
much reduced in amplitude.  This allows for much more accurate
measurements of the real source of the noise because the noise does
not overpower the receiver in the VHF region.  You could do the same
thing by adding some sort of attenuation to the AM receiver but using
VHF AM, is more easily done.

I quite quickly found the source and had it fixed.  I was amazed the
problem was so far from the house.  I should mention, I made the
issue a public safety hazard by calling the local police who then
called the utility because I really didn't get anywhere with the
utility.  The reason I used the police, was because the noise was
so powerful at the source that even FM VHF receivers could not
function in the source area.  Knowing this, when the police arrived, I
told them to contact headquarters and let them know what's going on.
Of course they had to leave the area to make the contact.  Hence,
a public safety hazard because communications in that area was poor.

Bill
K2WH