Topband: CW Transmitting Power

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CW Transmitting Power
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:32:40 +0000
Thanks to all who responded to my question.  The consensus of replies is
that on 160 and the hf bands, plenty of CW ops run the full legal limit, and
more than a few run considerably more.  High power CW is mostly used during
contests and for working DX.  Even 1000w++ 160m DX signals frequently arrive
at their receiving destination just above the noise floor.

I have no problem with high power CW.  As a matter of fact I think it would
be better if the ligal limit were 1500 watts AVERAGE power output for all
modes.  I was just wondering, because I don't recall ever hearing anyone on
CW actually say they were running that much, but of course in contests and
DX pile-ups people don't usually chit-chat about what rigs and power they
are operating.

73, Don K4KYV