Topband: Shack wiring & noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shack wiring & noise
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 01:36:52 -0600
I made an attempt at the NAQP-CW today.  Great fun.  During the evening
hours, I noticed something about noise on 160M and 80M that may help me
achieve better S/N.

It's very cold outside--about 0 degrees F.  When the blower on the shack
furnace kicks on, my noise levels dropped enormously.  The noise is a "egg
frying" hash type.  My noise is not bad.  S0 with the 500 Hz filters on.
The improvement in noise can only be observed when the 1/2 horse motor is
starting.  It will last for about 2-3 seconds.  Topband signals will pop
right out of the noise and disappear once the blower was up to speed.
Whatever is going on, I want that experience all the time, not for 3 seconds
every few minutes.

The blower motor is a generic single phased 1/2 horse.  When it starts, it
must throw an inductive load on one side of the 220 line (it's a 110v
motor).  I don't think the noise is determined by which side of the line the
furnace is tied to, it only happens during start-up--the noise is there when
the fan is off.  I don't think it is a voltage issue, since the rig is