Topband: K6STI Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K6STI Loop
From: na4m at arrl.net (Phil Duff)
Date: Tue Jan 21 21:04:47 2003
At 23:38 1/21/2003 +0200, Igor UA2FZ wrote:
>Dear Topbanders,
>I'm going to try K6STI receiving loop this weekend. Is anybody here who had
>an experience with this antenna?
>Does it work as describing in the 9'95 QST? Any hints?
>Thanks.
>
>Igor UA2FZ

I've had one up for a while now.    It does seem to do what it was
published to do.. reduce
local man made noise such as power line QRN, etc.   It has no directivity
but does improve
the s/n ratio if you have trouble from power lines or other local man made
QRN - especially
multiple sources in different directions.  The noise cancelling effect can
be quite dramatic sometimes.

It's a bit narrow banded - example:  if you adjust it for maximum output in
the bottom of CW portion of the band the output in the SSB section of the
band will be noticeably reduced but not unusable.

I built the 160/80M dual band version in the QST article but could never
get enough output on 160m to make it useable.  I think the loop size
probably needs to be larger for  use on 160m.   My comments in above
paragraphs refer to 80m.

My K6STI loop is little used now after building a pair of K9AY receiving loops.

73 Phil NA4M

....- --
Phil Duff NA4M     na4m@arrl.net   Georgetown, Texas