Topband: Rotatable Delta Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rotatable Delta Loop
From: kb9cry at attbi.com (Phil - KB9CRY)
Date: Mon Jan 27 20:01:03 2003
At the beginning of this year's DX season, I built and erected a
rotatable delta loop antenna, following the K6SE design to the letter.
 Once again, tnx to Earl, K6SE, for answering all those silly questions
and also tnx to Max-Gain Systems, whose most excellent fiberglass rods
and tubes are used.  The antenna is designed for 160 but also gets the
same results on 80M.  Now that the first contest is over (I had to work
during the ARRL test.) and I've been using it for a few months, I'd like
to share my real life experience.

It's a killer and works as advertised.  It exhibits excellent front to
back and front to side rejection.  And, it's as good as my 500 ft.
beverage, but, not quite as good as the 850 footer.  My beverages are
winter only, so this will become the only receiving antenna for the
summer DX.  I don't see why every lowbander doesn't have at least one of
these (or the pennant or flag or K9AY shape style) antennas as part of
their arsenal?  And, it uses very little room so you'se on city lots can
join in the fun, the fun of actually hearing stations on the low bands.
 For this last weekend, I kept this baby pointed SSE for the Caribbean
and southern states, the 500 foot bi directional beverage is in a
general ESE/WNW direction and the 850 ft. beverage points at EU.
I was able to hear a lot of stuff and used all antennas.  Right now I'm
listening to CT3FN on 160.  With the antenna pointed at him, he's a
5x8-9, off the side he's a 5x5-6, and off the back he's in the mud.
 Earl, I really like it; way to go sir!
Tnx for the bandwidth and direct your questions to me directly.  I can
send you a one page description of the design and/or more piks if
desired.  I use it with an Ameco PT-3 preamp.  Cu on the lowbands, Phil
 KB9CRY

Go to my website at for piks:  http://nidxa.org/memberWWW/kb9cry_home.htm