Topband: KE4UYP 160 Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: KE4UYP 160 Antenna
From: Jepilot at aol.com (Jepilot@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 14:38:08 2003
I would appreciate any comments regarding the performance of the  subject
antenna which is described on KE4UYP's web page
http://members.tripod.com/~KE4UYP/80_160m_LLV.html

This antenna is described as a 160 meter half wave dipole fed at the top of a
tower (55 feet).  One leg of the dipole is extended horizontally from the
feed point and the other leg extends vertically along the tower and is folded
back on itself (which is described a being linear loaded).  There is a
diagram at the web site.

The stated advantages are locating the high current portion of the antenna
near the top of the supporting tower (in this case the feed point is up 55
feet) and the elimination of radials since the antenna functions as a half
wave dipole (not a vertical).

Obviously this antenna is a compromise (as all 160 meter antennas on small
lots must be) but I wonder if it might perform better than my present
inverted L which has about 55 feet of vertical length and the remainder
sloping to a point about 25 feet in the air and uses two wires as the ground
plane running in opposite directions about 8 feet above the ground.

 Your comments will be appreciated.  Thanks

Jan Rehler, W5KNZ, Corpus Christi, Texas