RE: Topband: 160 Beacons

To: "on4kj" <on4kj@skynet.be>, "Ken Brown" <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>,"Tod - Idaho" <tod@skypoint.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: 160 Beacons
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:30:30 -0700
> And why not having a cluster who collects data from fixed beacon
> receivers.
> So we have a complete overview of propagation conditions continually in
> chart, at any time all over the world ...........
>
> jos on4kj

Another possibility is what I call "reverse beacons":

Set up receivers in various locations to monitor 160
meters and connect them to the internet using a network
such as Echolink or IRLP in receive-only mode.  Then
to test propagation, you would send your call and grid
square on the beacon receiver input frequency and see if you can
hear it via your sound card.  Kind of like kerchunking
a repeater, or pinging an internet node :-).

Stations could also passively monitor the reverse beacon
and listen for other stations and note their grid squares.
This can provide propagation information.  It
is even possible that the beacon could decode CW and
spot successful pings to the DX cluster.

The advantage of this is that it completely sidesteps
the regulatory issue of attended operation and also the
100w power limit.  If you're a big gun, you can hit the
beacon with your best shot.  It also gets around the problem of
"I'd rather be operating than beaconing".
I can imagine a receiver on the west coast of Europe
connected to several beverages pointed west, to check
for the annual :-) opening to the USA west coast.

Rick N6RK