Topband: Astron noise

To: Top Band Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Astron noise
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@pivot.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 07:28:06 -0400
 I did a pre-DX season noise finding survey of my house recently.
One strong source I thought was power line noise turned out to be
an Astron RS-12A power supply I have across a 12 volt battery used
to power the various DC items in the shack. The noise was very
high amplitude pulses every 16.66 ms ... especially strong on top
band. I notice some Astron models have .05 bypass caps to ground
across the DC outputs. Mine does not. I'm wondering if this is
noise from the rectifier diodes or some other source. Anyone have
any info???

73, Roger