Topband: FERRITE BEADS

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FERRITE BEADS
From: "Dan" <w0vd@sofnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:32:36 -0600
I need to build a good current balun for 80 and 160 meters.
Palomar has 43 material that has a .5 inch hole that 9913f coax will fit
through.
These beads are 1.12 inches long.
How many of these will I need to put over the coax to make an effective
balun?
Another question on the same line.
Several years ago I saw either in a mag or handbook where a current balun
was made out of steel wool placed over the coax. The steel wool was
compressed inside a plastic tube with the coax run through the middle.
As these ferrite beads are expensive (I am a cheap skate) has anyone used
the steel wool for a balun and did it work? If this will work how long does
the tube stuffed with steel wool have to be? I know there is a few fellows
out there laughing at this question. But I just have to ask.
Thanks
Dan W0VD
grid: EM27ud
w0vd@arrl.net