Topband: Broadband verticals

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Broadband verticals
From: ArchD@aol.com (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 06:14:51 -0400
I have always figured that if you can't make a 160 meter vertical broadband
(without ruining its performance), you must work around this problem!

So, I have a remote antenna switch at the base of my vertical.  Normally
this switch would allow you to select any one of three antennas.  However,
I have its three antenna outlets connected to three taps on the base

Thus I can remotely select (with a three position switch in the shack) taps
which give me resonance at 1820, 1840 or 1860 KHz. Thus I have acceptable
SWR from 1810 to 1870.   And, this only requires one wire to the remote
switch at the antenna!

Simple, and has worked well for 20 or so years--

Arch, W7ACD