Topband: NW6S Status Report

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NW6S Status Report
From: "Jim & Carolyn Kingsbury" <kingsburys@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:38:05 -0400
Hi Topbanders

In mid-Jamuary, I had worked 73 countries and confirmed 60 on 160 meters.
My 160 antenna (an inverted L up about 90 to 100 feet with 6 ground radials)
had been taken down by the winter wind and ice.  I decided to put up a new
inverted L with elevated radials and make an attempt to complete my DXCC on
160.  I put up the antenna and finished it on Jan 27.  That night I worked
RA6AX (who was quite loud here in western North Carolina) for country 74.
Needless to say I was quite pleased with the antenna.  I worked the 160 cw
contest on the 28th and 29th and worked 4 new ones. Most of my 160 contacts
had been the result of contesting or chasing dxpeditions.  I had very little
knowledge of the day to day nuances of dxing on 160.  Boy what an
awakening!!!  I haven't studied this hard sinces I was in college about 50
years ago.  I think this is the only band (maybe 80 meters as well) where
the receive antenna is more important then the xmit antenna.  I have now put
up a crude flag pointing to Europe and have planes for back to back phased
broadside pennants for next fall.  I don't have room for beverages except a
1 wave lengrth pointing 160 deg,/340 deg.  Anyway to make a long story
short, I've been seriously infected with the 160 bug!!!

I heard the FT5XO guys on 2 evenings, but could not break the pileups.  I've
also heard 5Z4DZ two evenings but no qso yet.  Last weekend on Sat night I
worked S9SS for #97, then on Sun night 4X4WN for #98 and on Mon night EA9IE
for #99.  Tuesday through Friday were real noisey here so I went to bed
early.  Got up yesterday (Sat) early to listen for VK/ZL.  I could barely
tell that ZL3XI was working W8JI and could copy VK3ZL about 2x2 through the
static but they did not peak at our sunrise, so maybe some other morning.
Last nite I did manage to work 5B4AGC for a rework of Cyprus(I worked C4A in
2001,but no card from 9A2AJ yet), then PY2RO for the magic #100 and even
worked LU7YS for #101.   Today I celebrated!!!  I now have 72 confirmed and
am anxiously waiting for the other 28 cards.

What an exciting and challenging band 160 is.  I think it's more science
than han radio. When openings happen for less than 5 minutes and 1 or 2 or
maybe 0 qso's per night are the norm it's exciting.  I'm still reading like
crazy and planning on being better prepared for next fall.

By the way I don't care if they are long path or skewed path.  If I can hear
em and work en that all that counts right now Hi Hi.  But I still find all
the comments on the reflector exciting to read and absorb.  Maybe someday
I'll be smart enough to comment as well.  Thanks for sharing your 160
experiences and knowledge on the reflector.

73 Jim NW6S