Topband: TT8AMO Notes (and JA alert!)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: TT8AMO Notes (and JA alert!)
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:41:14 -0400
W4ZV to Pierre:

        You were very lucky for 2 things tonight!

1.  Our local thunderstorm QRN was very low
today in NA.  Good news is it should be the
same tomorrow.  Earlier in the week it would
have been totally impossible due to QRN!

2.  Propagation was very good.  This was the
best night to EU in about 2 weeks.  Alex 5Z4DZ
came on around 0300z with a very nice signal
about 30 minutes before his sunrise.  He
commented that it was very unusual to have
such a good sunrise peak, so again condx
were excellent to Africa today.

Excerpt #1 from Pierre: (parenthetical comments by W4ZV)

When i started (about 0245z) the condx were
very good, then a deep (fade) for about 45 minutes.
Then again some USA but not as strong as before.

I will be again tonight, it will be the LAST 160 meter night from Chad.

You can pass the info around, please also mention the on-line log.
( http://www.pa7fm.nl/logs/tt8amo/logsearch.php )
Tell the people to spread out a little bit as last night all stations were
calling in the same kHz.  Up 3 to 5 is good and make the QSO rate higher.

We hope good conditions

Thanks for your help.

73 Pierre

Excerpt #2 from Pierre:

Hello Bill

I heard very well K5**, i gave several  his call and signal report,
but he never came back with a report. This was also the case once
on 80m. Most probably he got receiving problems or local noise..

This was also the case for other USA station, people cannot copy
me well but keep sending their callsign.

I got lot of problems to get the report that people gave me, because
lots of stations keep calling even when I already started  a QSO.

Also if i ask W4?  lots of non-W4 keep giving their call.  But you know
Bill is the TOP BAND FUN / MESS

I worked last night  5Z4DZ, YV1DIG and ZS1 but no JA

I will listen for JA around 19h30z, they have to call me on 1812 and i will
reply on 1828

73 Pierre

         One final comment for anyone still chasing Pierre.  He
had to work today so could not stay up continuously and was
sleeping from about 2200-0245z.  I told him that 5Z4DZ has
been quite strong after our NA sunset, so I would not be
surprised if he stays up all night tonight since he does not
have to work tomorrow.  He did not promise this, but I would
be looking for him anytime between your local sunset and his
sunrise (which is about 0422z today).

         Good luck to all and congrats to those who made it!
This is the best Topband operation from TT8 in history and
of course it took one of our finest 160 ops to pull it off, even
with only 100W to a very low inverted-Vee.  Our NA weather
forecast indicates another low QRN night and hopefully
conditions will allow all the deserving to make it tonight!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV