Re: Topband: Common-mode noise/long buried feedline runs

To: bragassa@consolidated.net, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Common-mode noise/long buried feedline runs
From: Telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:33:49 EST
Mike,

Tom's, W8JI, experience with this shows that in hIs situation it is not
difficult to deal with.

Food for thought for those who have had issues or want to know the magnitude
of the coupling.There will be coupling between the coaxial cables but it
appears that it is small enough not to matter in Tom's case. Besides imperfect
connector connections there are two other coupling mechanisms that I know of.
Leakage through the shield (called transfer impedance I believe) and the
resistive
voltage drop along the outside of the cable shield. I have encountered both
problems in the lab using single braided shield coax. The solution for me was
to use double shielded coax. In very sensitive applications triax can be used.
I have made triax in the field using copper tape over standard coax. The extra
shield is gavanically isolated from the coax shield at one end and is
connected to the coax shield at the other end. At the not connected end the
extra
shield connects to earth ground. The RF current that is induced onto the extra
shield then has a path rather than flowing along the coax shield.

   Dave WX7G