Re: Topband: Effect of DC on Ferrite Toroids?

To: jmaass@k8nd.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of DC on Ferrite Toroids?
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:52:59 -0600

At 10:41 PM 1/8/2007, you wrote:
>I recall reading somewhere that putting DC current through wire turns on
>ferrite toroids
>could result in damage to the material.

Jeff,

Some ferrite materials are design to change permeability with DC bias,
sometimes by as much as a factor of ten.  I'm not sure if all mixes will do
this or only those specifically designed to do so.

I've been trying to come up with a useful application of this property for
Beverage matching, etc., but so far I can't think of how it could be used
to advantage.

73,

Charles - K5ZK