Re: Topband: beverage lobes

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage lobes
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:02:22 -0500
> That's quite interesting.  Bob Brown, NM7M, once told me
> that for my
> location (southern Arizona near the Mexican border)
> vertical
> polarization had an 11 (eleven!) db advantage versus
> horizontal
> polarization for DX paths on 160m.

I get suspicious when I see a number that is obviously too
precise or "firm". The ionosphere is a constantly changing
soup. We would have a very difficult time making a stable
11dB null filter out of stable lumped components, let alone
in a constantly changing soup of ions.

Another problem is a horizontally polarized antenna like my
dipole is only perfectly horizontal directly broadside to
the element. As we move from those points the field tilts
gradually becoming more and more vertical as we approach the
ends. There are only two points where a perfect dipole is
perfectly horizontal in polarization.

As for my tall and short (1/4 wave) verticals, there is
hardly any difference in radiation at a given angle and gain
unless we get to really high angles, so I don't think my
test between verticals actually supports or disproves any
theories at all about polarization or angle. All I'm saying
is the verticals with a lower FS at higher angles have more
signal than a high or low dipole that has higher FS at
higher angles, and that leads me to believe the wave angle
is lower than expected most of the time.

What I have been thinking of doing is loading my 318 foot
tower with a top hat. That would give me an omni directional
vertically polarized radiator at a high wave angle.
Comparing that to a regular vertical would prove or disprove
the wave angle theory.

But the real inhibition is the fact I don't care much. I
only want to know what antenna works better 95% of the time
so I can use that antenna, and that antenna is a good
vertical.

73 Tom