Re: Topband: One way propagation

To: <shristov@ptt.yu>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: One way propagation
From: "n4is" <n4is@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:25:33 -0500

<<One way propagation is impossible in a linear and isotropic medium.

Besides all possibilities I would like to mention my own experience. Living
in a suburban area I measure my local noise periodically.

Average I have -88 dBm/500Hz, but and here is the "but" some times is good
as -110 dBm  and some times it is bad as -76 dBm, so my noise floor is
varying 30 dBm.

I can imagine that most of us can experience such variation, and for sure
the both side of the path do it too. Only 3dBm can be the difference of QSO
or no QSO. I can have a bad noise floor level with a good propagation, or a
good propagation with a good noise floor.

I think our location plays more than the propagation it self. If you define
ERS Effective receiver sensitivity, similar to ERP, then you needs to be
added a well know component "Your common mode noise". You may not see it but
it is there, it is very difficult to control and it could be high as 20 dBm
and you even don't know that

Taking in consideration that common mode noise impact both RX systems in a
different way, it is very common and easy to get confused with one way
propagation instead different ERS on both sides.

I 100% agree the one way propagation is impossible to detect and a linear
isotropic medium if it has any impact, it would be little or almost
inexistent"

Regards
Carlos
N4IS