Re: Topband: using vertical from a tall fir tree

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: using vertical from a tall fir tree
From: K7lay@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:43:45 EST
I use an inverted L from a fir tree with the apex about 75' up and the tail
makes up the rest.  I live on a heavily treed 5 acre plot.  The  vertical part
goes to a pulley close to the fir and the slopes to about 5' to  the top of a
10 ft 4x4.  4 elevated radials are attached to one of the  stainless steel
plates advvertised in dx engineering.  The vertical part is  on the East side
of
the tree.  I believe the tree only distorts the pattern  although yesterday
morning I worked v8fwp (west side of the tree) and that  shows that the
distortion isn't great.  In about 2 years I have  worked dxcc which is now
awaiting
processing at Arrl.  In addition I  have worked all parts of the world eg
Antartica, Franz Joseph land, many  Europeans ,Africa so the antenna fires all
directions and hears well.   At present I use the antenna for transmitting as
well
as receiving. Total worked  now stands at 112.

I live in a quiet area but now intend to put in some beverages to make it
easier to hear.  At one time I had considered using a catenary line and
hanging
a vertical from it but being lazy just used the present antenna.

My final comment is that perserverance and patience make up for a mediocre
antenna.  Use a tree-the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Bob k7lay