Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals
From: "Paul B. Peters" <ve7bz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:43:33 -0800
verticals, I offer my most recent experience on the subject.

Living here on the southeast coast of Vancouver Island, I have numerous fir
trees on my acreage that are in excess of 120 feet. Between two of my
biggest trees I just built and Inverted L that has a 106' vertical section
and the residual short piece horizontal. I have two 135' raised radials and
numerous 135' ground radials. The feed point is about 6' above ground and
according to the EU stations that I have worked in the last week, this
antenna is getting out quite nicely.

The vertical element is about 25' from the nearest tree and the antenna
itself is suspended on a catenary rope line between two trees that are about
45 feet from one another. Everything seems to work very well and if there
are any adverse effects from the near field of the tree, I'm not able to
detect it. So like every antenna project -- build it and see how it works.

73 de Paul, VE7BZ