Re: Topband: Chain link fence signal coupling

To: "Bruce" <K1FZ@verizon.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chain link fence signal coupling
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:28:18 -0600
Bruce and all,

I have had Beverages near chain link fences in these two scenarios:

1. Feedpoint by the fence and antenna run at a 30-deg. angle. It also
crossed over a section of fence at a 60-deg. angle, about 75 feet from the
feedpoint.The antenna worked as expected using a typical ground rod at the
feedpoint. I tried connecting the fence to the ground rod and it was clear
that something changed in the pattern. Since it worked OK before the
experiment, I simply removed the connection and did not pursue it further.

2. I ran a temporary short Beverage of 250 feet across a chain-link fenced
back yard. It ran from one fence to the other, at right angles to them. For
simplicity, I tried using the fence itself as the ground connection at both
ends -- it worked, so that's how I used it. This was a long-path antenna for
a 40M contest effort and was quite effective. It was too close to the TX
antenna to use on 160M.

Perhaps this limited experience will give you some insight.

73, Gary
K9AY