Re: Topband: A question on L's

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A question on L's
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:15:33 -0500
The NEC4 model I quoted was for #12 wire (which alas I failed to mention) and
was only to demonstrate that the bandwidth issue was not anything inherent
about an ideal 1/4 w vertical vs an ideal 1/2 wave dipole, all other issues
held constant.

In the model, the perfect ground does not have loss or radiate, only the 1/4
wave #12 wire.

I suspect it has something to do with the behavior of good ole dirt in the
vicinity, as apparently does W4BZ.  REAL DIRT, and stuff buried in it, is a
real Achilles heel in antenna model programs, including NEC4.

73, Guy

---

From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>

Maybe there is something that NEC4 overlooks. It seems unlikely that
many wires in parallel have the same bandwidth as a single wire.