Topband: Sunset / Sunrise and low dipole question

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Sunset / Sunrise and low dipole question
From: Gilles RENUCCI <ve2tzt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:04:19 +0000
Good day all,

Now that my beverages and vertical are working correctly, I am planning to
install a low dipole for sunset/sunrise. But before, I need to understand the
real interest of that installation.

Different authors are saying that a low dipole (id 30 to 60 feet high) on 160m
can in certain circumstances be better than a vertical during the short period
of sunset/sun rise ducted propagation.

If I compare on NEC2 the patterns of those antennas (a 80 feet T vertical/32
radials and a full size 60 feet high dipole on average ground) , the low dipole
starts to have a significant gain over the vertical (more than 3dB) above 60
degrees and a total supremacy (more than 10dB) above 70 degrees.

Does it mean than for this type of propagation the signal can get out of the
duct nearly vertically ?

This question is for the choice of the orientation of the dipole, because it is
a matter of fact that over 60 degrees the dipole have no more directivity and
it can be interesting to install it in a direction minimizing the 0 degree
neighbors qrm or very local broadcast station.

Gilles, VE2TZT