Re: Topband: enameled wire source

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: enameled wire source
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:08:07 +0000

Glen K4KV wrote:

"I am looking for a source for ground radial wire.

The THHN at Lowes is a bit more than $0.09/ft for #14.  Hoping to do
better than that.  Saw a reel of #18 at hamfest, 2000' for $95, I guess
I should have bought it!"

In 1974 I paid $400 for 16,000 ft. of #12 bare softdrawn copper wire for my
radial system, at a time when the price of copper along with the economy in
general had taken a dip.  That calculates out to 2.5 cents per foot.  Compared
to other sources I was able to find at the time it seemed like a bargain price.

Using an online inflation calculator, in to-day's dollarettes, that same spool
of wire would have cost $1763, or 11 cents per foot.  So 9 cents a foot for #14
isn't all that much more expensive than what I paid for mine over 30 years ago.

Although the price of copper recently took a big jump, when the the daily
erosion of the dollar's buying power is taken into account, it  isn't all that
expensive.  2-3 years ago when copper was a third its current price, that's
when it was a bargain.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/