Topband: Interaction on shunt fed tower with 1/2 sloper?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Interaction on shunt fed tower with 1/2 sloper?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:44:14 -0300
OK, don't want to belabour this subject, overstay my welcome,  nor bore the
list with my ongoing issues to hopefully shunt feed my 48' tower on 160m, as
you all have been so kind,  but I do have 1 more question please about
(possible) interaction with other antennas.

I have everything removed from my 48' Delhi Tower with big 6m beams on top.
Rotor wires, coaxes, ropes, whatever...all taped to the tower top to bottom.

I have aprox 12 x 80'-130' radials in very poor soil and a few other odds
and sods of wires bonded to the base of the tower.

I have a series matching capacitor which I can get a good match with, but
SWR seems too broad. Not unusual to see 2.1:1 SWR points roughly
1740kHz-1925kHz or so usually depending on gamma wire spacing and tap point.
(it varies)

  I have tried adding various top loading wires from 30' thru 100'. . .in
case the tower was just too darn short for 160m.

I have tried different runs of coax and different outouts on my remote
antenna switch to rule out a coax issue.

I have tried numerous sloped / slant / delta wire feeds.

 .  I have the gamma currently at either 24' -or- 30' (yes, I know it should
go to the top of tower--will that make a huge difference??)

I have even loaded it on 80m (in case it was REALLY too short)

On 160m (or 80m) my lil' old Alpha-Delta DX-A twin sloper @ 24' (right
beside gamma attachment point)off this same tower is ALWAYS MUCH louder than
the tower.  SOmetimes by scary amounts. (10-20dB not uncommon).

Is (can?) the Alpha Delta DX-A twin sloper be interacting with the tower
somehow, in a way that makes the towers TX and RX signal much much less than
the 1/2 sloper?  We are talking minimum 2 S-Units, and this with the tower's
SWR lower than the slopers SWR. . . .

I am willing to try all the suggestions. . . .and have tried most of them,
but I am holding out for placing the gamma at the top as I am not a
climber.... I am just curious about the interaction thing.  If I take down
the sloper ; then I will have no A-B comparison any more?!

Cheers

Mike
P.S.- a $5.00 inverted L made of scrap wire is looking real good about
now........heh heh ;-)

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB