Topband: IARU 160-Meters WAC Award

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IARU 160-Meters WAC Award
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:16:56 -0500
Good Day All,

The emphasis these days on 160 seems to be the ever-steady padding of new
countries onto one's DXCC award status...

But what if you're a relative "newbie" to the band (and they DO exist --- I
work one just about every other day!), just getting bitten by the DX "bug"
herein, and still light years away from ever even hoping of working 100
different countries on 160, never mind QSL'ing each & every one of them...?

Inspiration to diligently carry-on could very well be in the form of the
IARU 160-Meter Worked All Continents award...

After some years of procrastination, I finally applied through our sister
society here in Canada (R.A.C.), and to-day received my sheepskin in the
mail from ARRL... and what an absolutely handsome certificate it is, too.
Printed on 8-1/2" x 11" semi-cardstock paper, this full colour award
includes my complete name, callsign, and a bold black typed-in notation
above the date, indicating the all-important "1.8 MHz * CW".

It will find its way onto a prominent spot on the wall of my shack, as it
should, too, with those who might be furtively climbing that first rung of
the ladder toward DXCC on the band. What a great way to whet one's appetite
for ever more DX fun on the band...AND it affords one some bragging rights
whenever one's "regular / normal"(!) Ham friends might visit the shack...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ