Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

To: Jonathan white <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:31:24 -0600
> Would it be ok to use say galvanized wire for the top loading wire.

Jonathan,

I agree with Mike's comments about galvanized wire.  I built my
elevated inverted-L using galvanized fence wire for the radials.  No
problem soldering it at the junction with the copper ground ring at
the base of the vertical element.  I've made sure it's within easy
reach on a step ladder, though, so the connections can be re-worked as
needed.

After a year's service, everything looks fine, and the antenna is
working very well.  The only adjustment I'm going to have to make is
in the turnbuckles at the ends of the radials.  The steel fence wire
stretches.  (Your antenna may need re-tuning every year or so.)

Another thought: There are going to be some resistive losses in a
driven element made of this stuff.  My vertical uses all the radials
in parallel, so I2R losses are still low.  But would it be a good idea
to parallel two or three strands of the fence wire and twist them with
a power drill?

In addition to reducing the resistive losses, this might stabilize the
wire in the wind.  (The vertical AM/FM antenna on my truck has a
spiral outer wrap of wire around the stainless steel whip.  This keeps
the antenna from oscillating at highway speeds.)

Just a few thoughts.  Have fun!

Brad, KV5V
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK