Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower

To: "Phil LaMarche" <plamarc1@verizon.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower
From: "w8uvz" <w8uvz@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:54:38 -0400
Hi Phil

There is an excellent article in Ham Radio May 1975 by John True, W4OQ on
"shunt-feed systems for grounded vertical radiators".  His system uses an
omega match for matching the gamma rod (or wires) to the radiator.

Using large diameter tubing or multiple wires for the gamma will result in
more usable bandwidth on top band.

And the article makes several other suggestions that are worthwhile.

I have personally used his system and can recommend it.

If you don't have access to this article, send me a biz size SASE and I will
forward a copy.

As to the radials - put as many (up to 60) as you can in all directions,
irregardless of their length.  But with 5K feet already down,  I wouldn't
worry abt more.

73  George  W8UVZ

> Several weeks ago Herb out lined his recommendations for shunt feeding a
> tower and recommended it over the inverted L.  I have an L with the apex
> 55
> ft.  My tower is 72 ft with a large Mosley Pro 67C at the top. I lost his
> email.  Any recommendations?  He recommended 3 wires vs. one wire.
>
> My tower is 8 ft from the lake and has many ground rods tied together all
> over the place.  Lot is narrow and there is 5000 ft of wire down but only
> in
> one direction along the lake.  Best I can do.
>
> Herb, if you see this, give me more detailed instructions, please.
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Phil
>
> Philip LaMarche
>
> LaMarche Enterprises, Inc