Re: Topband: December Boring report and band conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: December Boring report and band conditions
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:34:52 -0400
On 1/8/2011 10:20 AM, w8uvz wrote:
> I agree with Cal's comments.
>
> The past couple of years, the low band propagation "lengthened" to having WC
> being able to work EU on a fairly regular basis.  Simarily, EC was often
> working JA and UA9/0.
>
> We had some of the best long haul and over the top condx, I have ever
> experienced in my 30 years on the low bands.
>
> But with the upward movement in the solar cycle, propagation has again
> become  "shorter".
>
> In short, I think we'll find these condx to be the norm for several years.
> Of course, there will be some good openings along the way.
>
> So, having "enjoyed the wave", settle in for different condx with some nice
> surprises as the cycle moves on....
>
> 73  George  W8UVZ

I'm not sure I would use the term disappointing. First the solid signals
day after day from 9Q5ON working many East Coast and Midwest with a new
country despite extreme tropical static.  But last week Larry, VQ9LA
(15,000 KM path length) was in for hours on 1814 peaking and holding 589
for long periods with only minor QSB.  At the same time he was inaudible
on the East Coast.  I would tend to believe that the Auroral suck out
may have contributed to that phenomenon.  My path heading to VQ9LA is 82
degrees.  EU regulars at 30 to 45 degrees were weak to ESP.  Neither was
there any skew.  Just a solid DX path to the Indian Ocean and not any
apparent  a spotlight.  I would think under these conditions VU2 and 4S7
would have detectable signals but that was not the case.  So IMHO the
polar absorption may most responsible for some paths reacting poorly.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK