Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:43:54 -0500 (EST)
Hi Rick,

Obviously something is very wrong with your new Beverage.  While your Beverage
is too short for really good performance on 160 meters, it should perform very
well on 80 and 40 meters.  Please run some tests on those bands.  If its not
performing as you expect on 80 and 40, you have some kind of serious problem in
the antenna, transmission line or connectors.

A simplest measurement you can make is DC resistance.  Assuming your matching
transformer provides a DC short across the far end of your coaxial cable, the
shack end of the coax cable should read just one or two ohms.

If thats okay, you need to make some RF measurements.  An MFJ-259 is an
excellent and inexpensive tool.  With the Beverage terminated you should see
VSWR less than 1.5:1 across a broad frequency range.  When you remove the
termination, the VSWR should change dramatically with frequency.

Please share your results with us.  Beverages just want to work, its nearly
impossible to get really poor performance without a fault in the system unless
its installed over salt water.

Good luck!

73
Frank